Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Acceptance

I am not going to lie. Being a mom of three has been a hard adjustment. You know when you hear yourself thinking "Everything will be okay when things get back to normal..." And then you stop yourself and think "What is normal anyway? And when will things ever be normal?" Yeah. I think that everyday. So now I am trying to accept my life the way it is, instead of thinking the above, that everything will just get back to "normal" sooner or later.

So I am now learning to accept a few things, like....


My house will never be perfectly clean (I love having a clean house) and when it is "clean" it won't last long (unless 5 minutes is long).

Laundry will never be done. And I'll probably be doing a load at least once a day... from here on out. And folding laundry? forget about that one. That is what my bedroom floor is for, right?

Dinner, most likely, will not be on the table by the time Dallas walks in the door. And most nights leftovers, cereal or sandwiches is the way to go.

The translation for "meal time" is "sit and feed baby time" (I'll get around to eating... later) and "try to calm Makiah down time" (for some reason this has become her time to cry about everything).

Leaving the house, just going anywhere, takes time. And lots of it. Waking up early doesn't always do the trick (I find myself getting things ready the night before I have to go somewhere).

Shopping requires an extra hour of time, just in case... (potty breaks, time to feed the baby, calm a crying child... the list goes on).

I don't have quite as much time for personal hobbies (like photography :( And I can't even remember the book I last read).

My living room is now a playroom (well, it always has been. But now that baby is sleeping in the kids room, the living room is the playroom).

Date nights are now Netflix and ice cream nights (we are used to this one, though). Coupled with late night feedings for the baby.

Blogging and emailing will be done with a sleeping baby in my arms.

When I finally do find time to get something done, it will be interrupted.


I know that this won't last forever.  But for now, it's life. And do you know what? I like it (I keep reminding myself). Bring on the challenge. Being a mom is tough, but it's what I do and it makes me happy. I feel lucky to be a mom. Especially of these three amazing kids.


8 comments:

Colleen January 19, 2012 at 1:15 AM  

First of all I'm jealous of your perfect sleeping baby! I've had to give up a lot if expectations too. I think it's part of being a mom. As long as kids are happy and loved its all that matters in the end. You're doing awesome!

Wendy January 19, 2012 at 2:11 AM  

I love this post! Thank you so much for sharing - it was beautiful and I think you're beautiful and you have a beautiful family.

Maggie & Nate January 19, 2012 at 9:40 AM  

Jessica you always seem to have it together. I LOVE a clean house as well, but with one kid it is hard, so I can't imagine with 3 kids! You do a great job!

Bethany January 19, 2012 at 10:52 AM  

"Try to calm Makiah down time," hahahaha. Oooh dear. I was lying in bed this morning and I thought, "I can't wait to be a mommy!" I normally think things like this. And even though some things sound... hard.. I still think things like the above. (:

You're cool.

Kristen January 19, 2012 at 12:56 PM  

A-MEN, sister!!

Julia and Aaron January 19, 2012 at 3:08 PM  

Love this post too! It makes me feel like I have kindred spirits out there and helps me not feel too frustrated at my kids for destroying the house all the time. I mean after all, they're just kids and want to play, right?

Heather H January 19, 2012 at 10:26 PM  

Three kids was really hard for me, too. There was never (and still isn't) enough of me to go around. For some reason though, the 4th baby was much easier on all of us (it helps that she is a great sleeper and that Olivia was almost 6 and much more helpful). It will get better but don't worry no one will remember that your house was a little messy (except maybe you!).

Angie January 20, 2012 at 12:52 AM  

Ya...I can totally relate to this post. It was hard when Isaac was first born, but as Noah and Leah got just a little bit older, and were able to help just a little bit more, things gradually got easier and things GRADUALLY got back to our "normal". Now that things are back to normal, I'm having another baby...so I'm going to be right back at square one in a few months...but I'm ok with that. I've learned that a clean house and really nice dinners only really matter to me and not everyone else. The kids are more happy with breakfast for dinner anyway! Plus they don't even notice what the house looks like...and I've learned to just care less about what other people think about my house if it is a mess. My kids and my hubby come first now...the chores are just going to have to wait. Time spent with them is much more important...as I'm sure you know! They grow up way too fast! Enjoy it now :).

about me

My photo
I am a wife to an amazing guy and a mother to three children. I love life and the things it has to offer. Lifestyle photography is one of my favorite pastimes. I especially love to share my love for photography through blogging. Feel free to stop by one of my blogs and say hi!

Jessica Bateman Photography

Jessica Bateman Photography
Click on the photo to see my latest photo session...

My THREE crazies- I love them!

My THREE crazies- I love them!

Followers

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP